Super Sunday: Twitter and its Social Media Strength

By now, we have all recovered from Super Bowl Sunday festivities, and we have gone about our normal daily routines. Well, unless you are still sulking in the Patriots loss and celebrating the Giants victory.

According to NBC News, this Super Bowl was the most watched event in American history, but the Super Bowl didn’t only set records on the airwaves, it also set them on Twitter. In fact, according to an article in the Washington Post, there were 12,233 tweets per second at the end of the game. This demonstrates one thing: the power of social media, and in particular, Twitter.

I knew this week’s blog post would have to center on the Super Bowl, but I wasn’t quite sure as to how. Would I focus on Madonna’s halftime performance, or would I focus on the fact that Peyton Manning was never shown during the telecast? Or could I talk about how Gieselle Bunchen’s comments about New England’s receivers went viral? The options were endless, but when I saw the statistic on how many tweets were sent, I knew I had my topic.

While many have questioned the power of Twitter (how can you fully express yourself in 140 characters?), the microblogging site is experiencing tremendous growth with more and more people flocking to it. One of the reasons to explain the site’s growth is word of mouth. Simply put, people are talking about the site and wanting to see what it has to offer. A study conducted by MIT found that early adopters of Twitter were young techies in cities such as Boston and San Francisco. When these individuals started to talk about the site, buzz grew and more and more people found the power that is Twitter.

One of the most powerful components of Twitter is that it allows individuals to engage with both individuals and brands. Twitter places a wide variety of information on a vast amount of topics at your fingertips. In fact, according to Twitter’s Adam Bain, 80% of Twitter users click on a link to find out more information. The other 20% either retweet or tweet. These statistics provide strong insight into what Twitter brings to the table for companies and individuals. Twitter affords people the opportunity to share information – articles, surveys, videos, pictures and more.

Twitter celebrated Super Sunday with a super strong showing, and this momentum should carry it through the kickoff to next football season and beyond. But, what do you think? Is Twitter going to maintain its strong position? Or, is it even the strongest social medium out there?

Advertisements