Content is King

You have a brand website. You have a blog. You have social media networks. You have banner ads. And, yes the list of tools and resources you utilize on a daily basis to extend your brand’s awareness and educate consumers goes on and on and on. But, how do you make sure that you have fresh and interesting content to keep consumers coming back for more? 

Content is key to the success of your emerging media efforts. Even back in 1996, Bill Gates commented that content would be king of the internet kingdom and drive its overall success. But as Gates points out, the word “content” takes on an even broader meaning now that marketing has shifted to an online presence.  No longer is content simply just newsletter stories. It is videos, podcasts, tweets and Facebook posts. It is the lifeblood of the brand, and it must be interesting enough for people to share with others, and it must encourage people to interact with the brand. If it does not accomplish these two objectives, then you may have to rethink your content…and overall emerging media strategy.

Ask questions. Be creative. Provide thought leadership on trends. Check out this recent article from USA Today for more tips. And while it may be geared toward small business owners, it provides valuable ideas that any brand can use – regardless of size.

Yet, how do you plan for great content? Yes, sometimes inspiration just comes to you, but let’s face it, even the greatest marketer hits creative roadblocks. I tend to either brainstorm or walk away from the task and work on a completely different project. Yes, I know these are two very different approaches, but each has proven beneficial to me. Maybe those suggestions will help you, maybe they will not. This list also provides some great ideas to get those creative content juices flowing. Are there any creative content approaches that are missing?

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Content is King

  1. It seems like a simple concept for brands to adhere to, but many brands miss the mark. In your link to the USA Today article, I found the 80-20 rule and interesting approach to quantifying content. This rule states that 80% of your online content should be about/for your audience and customers, and the remaining 20% could be about you, or your business. Instead, people reverse the ratio and the quality of the content doesn’t become king.

    • This was an interesting article, which provided some different perspective. While I do believe content is king, I agree in that context plays a critical role in shaping the meaning. I think both go hand-in-hand, and both are necessary to effectively communicate.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s